We’re hiring – Senior Web developer
NB: We are a Bristol based-team, but our development team works remotely across the UK. This role is therefore advertised as fully remote with the option to be in-person if desired.
Working at Unfold
We believe that great work has a purpose, solves a problem and improves people’s lives. At Unfold you will have the opportunity to do all this within a thriving and compassionate team.
Unfold is a multi-award-winning, digital design and development agency based in the heart of Bristol. We work with ambitious organisations to design, build and optimise digital platforms that accelerate growth.
Here are just a few examples from our extensive list of successful partnerships:
- Developing the technology to let customers ship luggage anywhere across the world with ease at Sherpr.
- Helping visitors of Bristol’s premier science museum, We The Curious, have an incredible visit by perfecting their online experience.
- Smashing booking records for national self-storage chain Storebox, with a new booking application and website.
- Scaling Muddy Trowel, a new garden transformation business, with fantastic growth, delivering joy to homes across the UK.
- Working with The British Heart Foundation to deliver two new websites that surface their research and help them engage with the community.
- Bringing private dining experiences to homes across London with yhangry, a new marketplace application.
As a studio, we care deeply about what we build, how we build it, and who we work with. Our notable reputation means we can choose projects based on what best aligns with the interests and expertise of the team, something you’ll contribute to as we grow.
We thrive on building close connections with our partners, which in turn allows us to create better products: “There are new ideas coming from the Unfold team, things I hadn’t necessarily thought of within the original scope of the project. They don’t just take everything we say as gospel, if the team thinks things can be improved on they tell us”
As a member of the Unfold team, you’ll have access to dedicated learning budgets for training and development, allowing you to progress and stay at the forefront of your field. We also offer 30 days of holiday (inc. bank holidays), plus half-day Fridays over the summer, so you can relax and recharge. We have a monthly social budget, plus two annual team days (summer and Christmas parties), so there is plenty of opportunity to socialise with everyone in the team.
At Unfold, we believe that a positive work environment is essential for creativity and productivity. That’s why we offer all our team top-of-the-range equipment, whether you’re office or home-based. If you’re Bristol based then you’ll have access to a fixed desk within our beautiful and inspiring studio space which of course has free tea, coffee and fruit on tap. Our studio also sits within a larger specialist creative co-working space, giving you the opportunity to connect with other like-minded individuals.
We’re a values-driven workplace that focuses on employee experience, and we take great pride in striving towards an enjoyable, engaging and challenging workplace. We actively engage in creating a positive work/life balance, ensuring team wellbeing is a high priority at every stage.
Joining Unfold means being part of a team that truly makes a difference and has a real impact on people’s lives.
- You relish in the opportunity to do great work as part of a small team where projects have a real impact on our clients and their users.
- You’re an expert in your field, and you enjoy sharing new-found knowledge with your team.
- You’re not afraid of the unknown. You might not know how to do something yet, but that’s all part of the fun. You enjoy figuring out how to solve new challenges.
- You enjoy forming strong relationships with your colleagues and clients, sharing the same energy and enthusiasm we have for our client’s success.
- You love the work you do, and you’re constantly seeking out new ways to improve things and solve problems.
- You value both giving and receiving constructive and honest feedback as part of an open, supportive and empowering culture.
- You have a willingness to drive change and adapt your role as we grow.
- Lead the development of our WordPress and WooCommerce projects – driving outcomes for both ongoing clients and new projects.
- Develop our internal frameworks to help us rapidly build high-performing sites at scale.
- Work closely with our design team to collectively deliver exceptional user experiences and beautiful sites for our clients.
- Support the rest of the development team with front-end development as required, particularly when there is a greater degree of integration between the marketing site and web application.
Capabilities and skills
- Experience developing with a content management system (ideally WordPress).
- Ability to turn high-fidelity designs into beautiful websites and platforms, with extra flourishes and polish that makes the work sparkle.
- Be a fast learner with a knack for quickly grasping concepts and understanding clients’ needs from various industries and backgrounds.
- Ability to easily explain complex technical topics to non-technical colleagues and and clients.
- In future, mentor and develop junior/mid-level developers into confident senior developers.
Some nice to have’s:
- Experience with Timber library / Symfony / Twig.
- Previous agency experience.
- Starting salary of £45,000-55,000 with a formal review every 6 months.
- 30 days holiday per year (including bank hols).
- Half-day Fridays over the summer.
- Dedicated learning and development budget.
- Monthly social budget plus two annual team days (summer and Christmas parties).
- Top-of-the-range equipment – MacBook, monitor, accessories plus any software tools you need.
- Individually tailored support – we’ll work with you to provide anything you need to succeed in the role.
- Semi-flexible working hours / family-friendly working culture.
- Nest workplace pension.
- Inspiring office space with free tea, coffee and fruit plus showers and bike parking.
- Work within the heart of the wider Bristol creative community, with a monthly social calendar organised by our office provider.
- Yes before no: our ‘can do’ attitude keeps us moving forwards. If we can’t do it yet, we’ll soon find a way.
- Deliver success, not just a service: we’re entrepreneurs, just like our clients, so we understand their need to succeed and get results.
- Integrity comes naturally: if we say we’ll make something happen, it will. We don’t move the goalposts and we stick to our word.
- Challenge everything: sometimes we’re right and sometimes we’re wrong, but we’ll always bother to ask ‘why?’. We’ll challenge our own and our client’s ideas in pursuit of perfection.
- Cherry on top: there is nothing we enjoy more than the smile on the client’s face at the end of a project. We go above and beyond to add that touch of magic that really makes the work sparkle.
- Drop us a message at email@example.com. Tell us about why you’d like to work at Unfold, including your CV and examples of your work (ideally sharing your code). If you’re not able to provide examples, please explain why.
- If that looks good you’ll be invited for an interview with our Technical Lead, Peter and our founder, Harry. This stage of the process will focus primarily on assessing your technical capabilities.
- The second and final stage of the interview process is an interview with our founder and Ashley, our project manager to consider your fit for the team. This will be in person if you’re based near Bristol, with an opportunity to meet the rest of the team.
Unfold is committed to equality and inclusion in all that we do.
No agencies – thank you!
If you’ve got an idea for a new digital venture, email Harry for some honest, expert advice.Get in touch